The following statements were used in the Press Council’s statement, which reacted to RTÜK:
* The Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK) has added a new one to its increasing misapplication in the recent period, and for the first time in its history, it was the first time in its history to ‘screen blackout’. Such an outdated practice cannot exist in any democratic state of law.
* At RTÜK, with the majority of the members coming from the ruling quota, the screens of HALK TV and TELE 1, which broadcast nationally and have millions of viewers, are closed for 5 days and heavy administrative fines are never acceptable.
* RTÜK, which should be autonomous, has once again demonstrated that it is the ‘power apparatus’ after President and Ak Party President Recep Tayyip Erdogan declared that ‘We will get rid of the media virus’.
* The highest number of complaints about broadcasts are made for ATV, and none of them are addressed, RTÜK has once again proved to be a ‘power stick’ on the media, while penalizing penalties for critically broadcast channels. Now it is asked which TV channel is next.
* In a democratic state of law in Turkey, two national television channels in the 5 days that the screen blacked out during 120 hours of the 2020 World unaccountable to anyone. This decision of RTÜK will pass into our press history as a black page.
* Journalism is indispensable. Efforts to align television and social media are futile.
* We expect everyone who believes in democracy, the right to receive news and freedom of expression to oppose this defective practice and say ‘stop’.