The health of the hair can be influenced by countless factors including:
- the age; already between 20 and 30 years, in fact, there is a decrease in the hair follicles which can cause a progressive thinning of the hair;
- the genetic and hormonal constitution;
- the presence of certain medical conditions such as, for example, anemia The thyroid problems;
- particular moments in life characterized by high levels of stress or significant changes, such as the post partum, when the sudden drop in estrogen hormones can cause increased hair loss.
Also nutrition plays a primary role: if on the one hand an incorrect diet can be at the basis of nutritional imbalances that affect the strength and health of the hair, on the other hand it is precisely from the dietary regime that we must start to strengthen the hair and promote its growth, intervening in such a way as to make your own varied, balanced and complete nutrition of all those nutrients essential to the health of the hair.
As evidenced by the experts of the Italian Society of Trichology, in fact, considering that hair is made up of proteins for 65-95% (and for the remainder from water, lipids, pigments and trace elements), a diet lacking in terms of amino acids, trace elements, minerals (iron in primis) and vitamins, can promote an increase in hair loss, which can be countered, however, if the imbalances are corrected in time.
If there is a need for an additional supplement, especially in conjunction with particularly stressful periods or drastic diets, too supplements can be an excellent ally in the care of the foliage. However, remember that if you are unsure or have specific conditions, it is always good to consult your doctor.
Before explaining what hair supplements are commercially available, here are some tips on what to do if your hair falls out or breaks: it is proven, in fact, that taking supplements without adequate correction of habits or triggering causes, often proves useless or ineffective.
Hair falling out
Aggressive treatments such as colors o bleaching, constant drying at high temperatures, too frequent washing and the use of unsuitable products are all factors that can negatively affect the health of the hair, exposing the hair to weakening, fragility and an increase in the fall.
As for the frequency of washing, however, as pointed out by the experts of the Italian Society of Trichology, it is not correct to identify the frequency of washing as a trigger for the increase in hair loss: the frequency of cleansing the hair, in fact, varies according to the characteristics and individual needs , and therefore contemplates the possibility of even daily washing. On the other hand, it is instead important choose a suitable cleaner, with a delicate action, with a pH between 4 and 6, and which is not excessively degreasing.
Finally, it should be considered that in cases where the increase in hair loss and the consequent thinning of the hair is temporary (and therefore occurs in conjunction with moments of stress, change of season or food shortages), it is sufficient to eliminate the cause.
Instead, where there is a progressive thinning and the appearance of patches without hair, it is instead appropriate resort to the consultation of a trichologist.
Broken and brittle hair
Even in the presence of damaged hair, the underlying causes can include aggressive treatments, dietary imbalances, specific medical conditions or a lack or insufficient protection of the hair from external agents such as sun, wind, cold, chlorine and salt.
In this sense, it is essential to act in advance so that the stem retains its shine and elasticity and is not dry, rough and spongy. Specifically, it is of fundamental importance:
- choose a shampoo suitable for your hair type, preferring products that DO NOT contain sulphates in the INCI (the product label containing all the ingredients), i.e. surfactants with a foaming action widely used in shampoos for their cleansing and degreasing action, which can promote dryness and damage hair;
- moisturize the hair through theuse of quality balms and oils. Even the periodic application of intensive restorative treatments (such as creams or hair masks) can help fight dryness and keep the stem nourished and shiny. In the case of colored hair, it is better to prefer the application of a protein reconditioner in which the keratin contained is hydrolyzed, so as to be absorbable by the hair;
- comb the hair avoiding excessive traction with a brush or comb, preferring to use a wide-toothed comb or a detangling brush, to be used especially before proceeding with the washing of the head;
- after washing, to absorb excess water, avoid rubbing the hair with a towel but pat your hair, without rubbing;
- limit the temperature of hair dryers, straighteners and curling irons, or possibly apply a heat protective spray (which prevents damage due to heat) before proceeding with styling at higher temperatures.
What are the best supplements for falling out or breaking hair?
Given the need to correct the underlying causes of hair loss or brittleness, possibly by consulting your doctor or a specialist such as a trichologist, various formulas are available among the supplements on the market, which can respond to personal needs.
Multivitamins perform an action on several fronts, helping to efficiently fill any nutritional deficiencies. In general, they may contain B vitamins as well as zinc, which contribute to the health of hair follicles, C vitamin, which stimulates blood circulation in the scalp, promoting hair regrowth, e vitamin D, which can even encourage the creation of new follicles.
The best seller
The multi-nutrient formulation of the supplement Swisse Hair Skin Nails It is high in biotin, which contributes to the maintenance of healthy hair and skin. This supplement also contains zinc, which supports the well-being of hair, skin and nails, and vitamin C, which promotes the normal formation of collagen, a structural protein essential for maintaining healthy skin. Zinc and vitamin C, then, support the protection of cells from oxidative stress, responsible for inflammatory processes and aging. Average customer reviews: 4.5 out of 5
Omega-3 fatty acids
In addition to having beneficial effects on various physiological processes of the organism, the omega-3, naturally present in foods such as salmon, avocado and flax seeds as well as in fish oil supplements, they help nourish the hair and support its growth, promote circulation in the scalp and also counteract any inflammation of the follicles associated with hair loss.
The best seller
Nutravita Omega 3 Fish Oil Capsules, free from artificial colors and flavors, GMOs and allergens such as gluten, lactose and nuts, contain essential fatty acids that contribute to the maintenance of various body functions. Specifically, Omega 3s contain two of the most important essential fatty acids in the form of EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid): DHA contributes to the maintenance of normal brain function and vision, and together with EPA supports the normal heart function, all properties confirmed by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA). Average customer reviews: 4.6 out of 5
The best seller
Vitamaze Biotin supplement, in a 365 tablet format to ensure supply for one year, is high in biotin and is supplemented with zinc and selenium, to offer an ideal combination to support hair and nail growth. Made exclusively with ingredients of plant origin, the product is completely free of genetically modified ingredients and unnecessary additives. Average Customer Review: 4.3 out of 5
Zinc pyrithione is the active ingredient, with an antimicrobial and antifungal action, most commonly used in products for fight dandruff. Because fungi (or yeasts) that normally live on the scalp can overgrow and cause microscopic inflammation that is responsible for hair loss and weakening, using shampoos containing zinc pyrithione can help improve scalp health and hair.
Wella Professionals Invigo Clean scalp is an anti-dandruff shampoo with zinc pyrithione enriched with lotus extract, menthol and allantoin. The product frees the hair and scalp from dandruff, moisturizes the skin and leaves a feeling of cleanliness and freshness on the head. Average customer reviews: 4.6 out of 5