Last winter, Gustav Svensson received the nob of IFK Gothenburg and ended up in Chinese Guangzhou City. The stay there was only a few months long. Now the 34-year-old, who recently announced that he is leaving the national team, is back in Blåvitt. The club confirms that the midfielder has signed a contract that extends over 2023 – with an option for another year.
– It feels wonderful to be able to come home. Blue and white has something really good going on and I would like to be a part of it. This is my club and Gothenburg is my hometown. Of course, it feels fantastic that everything is finally ready, he says to the club’s website.
Sports director Pontus Farnerud about the deal:
– It feels very good that Gustav is now back. He is one of Sweden’s best in his position and has accumulated a lot of experience after games in Turkey, Ukraine, USA, two rounds in China and to be continuously part of the national team. He raises the quality and leads the competition even more in our squad.
The new acquisition means that competition is intensified at the central midfield – where Pontus Wernbloom and Jakob Johansson have previously been forced to retire due to injuries. A welcome addition, says coach Mikael Stahre – who had Svensson in the team during his previous stay in Blåvitt.
– Gustav is an extremely smart player who does a great job, not least in the defensive. I look forward to starting working with him again.
Gustav Svensson has represented Blåvitt at senior level during two stays. Only when he was promoted from the youth team (2006-2010) and when he returned to the club in 2014 and remained until 2015. He will be the third returnee this summer after Oscar Wendt and Marcus Berg.
✅ | Gustav is ready!
– IFK Gothenburg (@IFKGoteborg) July 22, 2021