Cheng Chung Wei, an official of the National Health Commission in China, said that China launched the emergency use program for the Corona virus vaccine last July, after it contacted the World Health Organization in late June, which approved and supported it, according to the “Times of India” website. For, the vaccine has been given to hundreds of thousands of medical workers and other limited groups of people who are considered at risk of infection, although its efficacy and safety have not been fully demonstrated because phase 3 clinical trials were incomplete, raising concerns among experts.
At the end of June, the State Council of China approved the plan for an emergency use of the vaccine COVID-19.
“After approval, on June 29, we contacted the relevant representatives of the WHO China office, and got support and understanding from WHO,” said Cheng.
Dr. Mariangela Simao, Assistant Director-General of the World Health Organization, said at a press conference the day before yesterday in Geneva, that countries have the independence to issue an emergency use license for any health product in accordance with national regulations and legislation.
The chief scientist of the World Health Organization, Sumiya Swaminathan, said earlier this month that licensing the emergency use of the Coronavirus vaccine is a “temporary solution”, and that the long-term solution is to complete the third phase trials.
Beijing has not publicly released the full details of the emergency use program.
At least three candidate vaccines were included, including two that were developed by a group China National Biotec Group (CNBG) State subsidized and one of Sinovac Biotech, All of which are in phase III trials abroad, in the emergency use program.