Gasoline fumes caused an explosion and fire aboard a boat on Friday. One of the occupants had to be helicoptered to the REGA.
Three people in their fifties were injured, including two slightly, when their motor boat exploded on Friday around 12:30 pm on Lake Neuchâtel, between Yvonand and Yverdon-les-Bains (VD). When the boat was started, gasoline vapors caused the engine to explode and then a fire on board, the Vaud police told Keystone-ATS, confirming a 24-hour information.
Helicoptered by the REGA
The accident took place off the locality of Châble-Perron, specifies the spokesperson for the cantonal police. The three occupants are from the region. They were able to jump into the water and reach the shore.
The man was burned in the leg and taken by the REGA to the CHUV. The two women were more slightly injured, only one of them was taken to Yverdon Hospital.
The motorboat was completely destroyed but did not sink, police said. It was brought back to the port of Yvonand and lifted out of the water by a small crane. Responsible for the investigation that was opened, the lake brigade was to examine it on the spot.
The Vaud police spokesperson recalled that in times of extreme heat, it is important to ventilate the hold where the boat engine is located.
(ATS / NXP)