Boxing legend Evander Holyfield took to the ring against former MMA star Vitor Belfort on Sunday night, in what was his first fight since 2011.
The 58-year-old replaced Oscar De La Hoya when the latter was admitted to hospital with covid-19 just a week before the match.
Belfort made short work of Holyfield, and the referee stopped the match just two minutes into the first round, after Holyfield was knocked to the floor. Then the judge thought he had had enough.
Now the criticism is hailed against the organizers
– That Evander Holyfield, a month away from his 59th birthday, is allowed to box, is a shame, writes boxing journalist Chris Mannix on his Twitter.
Evander Holyfield, a month shy of his 59th birthday, being allowed to fight is shameful. Triller went commission shopping. California said no, Florida, which has no real rules, said yes. Now a man approaching senior citizen status will have his head targeted. Awful.
— Chris Mannix (@SIChrisMannix) September 8, 2021
The American video sharing app Triller is behind the fight. Among other things, they have arranged several of Jake Paul’s boxing matches, and were also behind Mike Tyson’s comeback when he met Roy Jones Jr. in a training match.
Sports journalist Arash Markazi is furious and believes there should be consequences for those involved.
– Evander Holyfield will be 59 years old next month. He has not fought in 10 years. He was not set up to fight two weeks ago. Whoever sanctioned this should be arrested, he writes.
Evander Holyfield is turning 59 years old next month. He hasn’t fought in 10 years. He wasn’t scheduled to fight as of two weeks ago. Whoever sanctioned this should be arrested. https://t.co/T0vRylF61s
– Arash Center (@ArashMarkazi) September 12, 2021
Holyfield lost his boxing license in New York in 2005. It was justified by “reduced skill and poor performance”.
Trump stole the show
Former United States President Donald Trump sat in the commentator booth with his son Donald Trump Jr.
Before the match, Trump stated that he would like to fight against President Joe Biden.
– If I had to choose someone to fight against all over the world, I think my easiest match would be against Joe Biden. I think he would go down very easily, he said during a press conference in advance.
During the rally, eager Trump supporters made themselves heard.
– We want Trump! runget ut over stadion i Hollywood, Florida.