(CNN Spanish) – The coronavirus has infected more than 64,000 people worldwide and has claimed more than 1,300 lives.
The outbreak, which originated in the Chinese city of Wuhan, has a large number of events around the world at risk of cancellation and has already canceled or postponed several technology and sporting events around the world, while concerns about The spread of this virus.
These are some:
Mobile World Congress
One of the major events canceled so far is the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona due to the outbreak of the coronavirus. The event was expected to begin on February 24 in the Spanish city, but several companies canceled their participation for fear of the outbreak, including Facebook, Amazon, Intel, Cisco and Sony.
Formula 1 postponed Chinese Grand Prix scheduled for April 19. The FIA and F1 said they would continue to monitor the situation and explore the “feasibility of possible alternative dates for the Grand Prix later in the year in case the situation improves.”
Event organizers said they believe this is a prudent decision to protect the rugby community and the general public. The Hong Kong Sevens were scheduled for April 4 and 5, and those in Singapore were originally scheduled for April 11 and 12. Both events have been rescheduled for later this year.
Fashion events postponed
In recent years, Shanghai Fashion Week has become one of the most ambitious fashion weeks in the region, as well as home to the largest fashion fair in Asia, the International Fashion Fair of China. These events have drawn international names like Vera Wang, Jenny Peckham and Vivienne Tam to show on their runways.
But this Monday, the organizers of Shanghai Fashion Week, an event that would take place from March 26 to April 2, announced through the Chinese social network WeChat that the event would be postponed due to the coronavirus.
“We will actively seek (new) times and forms, and maintain close communication with the partners who care for and support Shanghai Fashion Week,” the publication reads. “We will strive to promote the development of the fashion industry,” the statement continued.
Shanghai’s absence in the Asian fashion month calendar will undoubtedly delay a full list of creatives that had their brightness, not only in terms of visibility, but also to ensure buyers for their collections.
Meanwhile, China Fashion Week, the country’s other major fashion event in Beijing, scheduled to begin on March 25, has not yet publicly announced whether it will postpone or cancel its event. But if it is canceled, it will also suffer. Although less established internationally, the event has recently positioned itself as a center for young designers, and showed new efforts to broaden its global reputation by partnering with the Chinese edition of Women’s Wear Daily.
Despite the worldwide alert for the coronavirus, the organizers of the Tokyo Olympic Games have said that the event is still standing, as the World Health Organization states that “there is no case for contingency plans to cancel the Games or move the Games, ”according to International Olympic Committee (IOC) member John Coates.
The organizers, however, say they will be “particularly monitoring the [atletas] Chinese ”who will go to Tokyo.
The Professional Women’s Golf Association (LPGA) canceled two golf events in Thailand and Singapore last week.
The Honda LPGA Thailand 2020, which was scheduled to take place between February 20 and 23 in Pattaya, Thailand, was canceled along with the HSBC 2020 Women’s World Championship, which was scheduled to be held between February 27 and March 1 in Singapore
The LPGA had already canceled the prestigious Blue Bay event that took place from March 5 to 8, on Hainan Island, in southern China.
Other events canceled, postponed or with date change
Several sporting events in China have been canceled, postponed or moved to other countries since the outbreak began.
– The start of the Chinese national football competition, the Chinese Super League, has been postponed, together with the first three days of the Chinese Super League teams in the Champions League of the Asian Football Confederation.
– The 2020 Indoor Athletics World Championship, which will be held from March 13 to 15 in Nanjing, has been postponed until next year following the advice provided by the World Health Organization to the World Athletics governing body.
– The start of the new League of the Chinese Basketball Association, scheduled for February 1, was postponed.
– The International Basketball Federation moved the Tokyo Olympic qualifiers from February 6 to 9 from Foshan to Belgrade in Serbia.
– The sixth edition of the Hong Kong Ladies Open, which took place from February 28 to March 1, was postponed, and will now be played from May 8 to 10.
– The International Tennis Federation had wanted to move a group event Fed Cup Asia / Oceania from Dongguan to Nur-Sultan (formerly Astana) in Kazakhstan, but from February 4 to 8 The event has been postponed after Kazakhstan refused to serve as a substitute host.
– The China Masters badminton tournament in Hainan was scheduled for February 25 to March 1, but was postponed after several players withdrew. The World Badminton Federation said it hoped that the iconic Asian Badminton Championship could go ahead in Wuhan from April 21 to 26.
– The Asian Athletics Association canceled the Asian Indoor Athletics Championship to ensure “the safety of our athletes.” The championships had originally been scheduled to be held in Hangzhou from February 12 to 13.
– The official opening ceremony of the XIV National Winter Games of China was scheduled for February 16. However, the Games have already been postponed.
– The Hong Kong Marathon is a general event for three races: 10 kilometers, half marathon and full. Some 74,000 people signed up to compete in the races on February 8 and 9, but they have now been canceled.
– The Longines Masters of Hong Kong jumping event was scheduled from February 14 to 16, but has been canceled.
– The League of Legends 2020 Spring tournament, scheduled to begin on February 5, and the Legends 2020 Development League have been postponed.
– Other affected Olympic sports qualifiers include the Asian and ocean boxing event, which moved from Wuhan to Jordan, and women’s basketball, whose qualifying competition was changed from Fuhan to Serbia.
– The first winter X-Games to be held in China were postponed. The event was scheduled for February 21 and 23 in Chongli.
– The International Ski Federation has confirmed that the races of the World Cup of downhill skiing and super G for men, which were to be held on February 15 and 16, have been canceled.
– The Formula E race to be held on March 21 in Sanya, China, has also been canceled.
– Vietnam has ruled out organizing sporting events in February, which means that the matches of the AFC Cup group stage at home for Ho Chi Minh City and Than Quang Ninh have been changed to away matches.
– The Hockey Pro League matches between China and Australia, which were played from March 14 to 15 in Changzhou, have been canceled.