The second generation digital terrestrial, the now famous DVB-T2, is approaching with great strides. These days we see many frequency shifts of television broadcasters, from North a South, which are the prelude to the real change: the technical one, with the abandonment of the old MPEG-2 compression in favor of MPEG-4 starting from 1 September 2021.
Already with this first change some TVs will become obsolete overnight and unusable, but even more this will happen starting from June 2022, when there will be switch off real: the old DVB-T1 signal will be turned off all over Italy and the antennas will begin to transmit only in DVB-T2 with HEVC Main 10 compression. When this step-by-step process is completed, at the end of June next year, the most likely situation in Italian homes will be the one that will see the main television (usually the one in the living room, more modern and advanced) ready for the new standard and at least one another TV (the one in the kitchen?) which is not. The smart TVs sold in recent years, in fact, are quasi all compatible with DVB-T2 but older models are not. To continue using these models even after the switch off, you can buy a new one external decoder.
How to choose the external DVB-T2 decoder
For those looking for an external DVB-T2 decoder to connect to a TV to make it compatible with second generation digital terrestrial, the market offers numerous alternatives, with functions and prices very variable. The basic products already start at 30-50 euro, but the more advanced ones exceed the 80-100 euro.
The choice must be made on the basis of your needs, but also to the TV to which you want to connect the decoder: for example it is useless to spend more to have compatibility with channels in 4K, if the television has only Full-HD resolution.
As it is also useless to have the Wifi connection on the decoder if you do not intend to use that television to watch streaming content from the most famous platforms. On the contrary, if we also have a satellite system the presence of a CAM for the cards can be very useful Tivùsat.
The presence of one should also be evaluated internal memory to record a program while watching another: in this case it is possible to do without the connection necessary to watch TV on demand.
The choice of DVB-T2 external decoder, therefore, it can be finely customized according to your needs and financial resources (always remembering that, also for 2021, the Government TV Bonus). Here, for example, are three models with increasingly higher features and prices:
DVB-T2 Tuner TV Receiver Converter, 1080P HD HDMI Set Digital Terrestrial Receiver with DVB-T-T2 3 / Teletext Remote Control Support Protocol, Without VGA Port
- Support DVB-T-T2 protocol. New and high quality.
- Support teletext. Terrestrial digital TV / radio program playback
- Composite video output for TV
- HDMI output for LCD / CRT monitor
- Watch DVB-T TV on your PC monitor, no software required
GT Media V7 Pro Decoder, Satellite TDT Combo DVB-S / S2 / S2X DVB-T / T2 TV Support H.265 10bit with WiFi antenna USB / CA card reader, support CCcam Youtube AutoBiss (GT MEDIA V7 Plus improved)
- 【HD】 Supporta DVB-S / S2 / S2X + T / T2, VCM / ACM / multi-stream / T2MI, Multi-PLP, HEVC principali 10 profili (10 bit), AVS +.
- 【Wide scope of application】 Unicable support, DiSEqC1.0 / 1.1 / 1.2 / USALS engines are fully supported. Support online movies; supports CCCAM, NEWCAM, MGCAM.
- 【Easy to use】 Supports BISS auto scroll, full PowerVu, DRE and Biss keys.
- 【Multi-network sharing】 Supports high speed USB 3 / 4G dongle and USB Wi-Fi dongle.
- 【Technical Support】 Technical Support Website: www.freesat.cn.
GT MEDIA V8 UHD Digital Terrestrial Decoder 4K DVB-T2 DVB-T2 + S2X Satellite Receiver + Combo Cable, Smart Card Reader for Tivusat, Supports 4K Hevc 10bit PVR with WiFi / SCART / HDMI
- ☃️ 【4K DVB Combo TV Decoder】 GT MEDIA V8 UHD is a combination of satellite decoder and digital terrestrial receiver. DVB-S / S2 / S2X, DVB-T / T2 / ISDB-T and DVB-Cable (J83.A / C) / ATSC-C (J83.B) support. HEVC 10 (10bit) main profile support. Support Youtube 1P-web-TV, CC-cam, etc.
- ☃️ 【4K Ultra HD】 The V8 UHD supports reception of 4K channels, and only decoders that support 4K Ultra HD can receive 4K channel signals. And it supports HEVC H.265 and ultra-high definition multi-format video decoder.
- ☃️ 【Smart card slot with Tivusat support】 V8 UHD is compatible with smart cards such as TIVUSAT. At the same time, it also supports reception and viewing of FRANSAT and TNTSAT channels without inserting a smart card. (The smart card is not included in the accessories)
- ☃️ 【PVR Recording】 The latest feature: You can record the programs you want to record while watching other live channels. In addition, you can find out the program airtime through the EPG 7-day program guide, and then schedule a recording. Reservations support up to 6 hours in advance.
- ☃️V8 UHD supports EPG, LCN, DLNA and SAT To IP logical sorting and many other basic and cutting edge functions. At the same time, GT MEDIA’s professional technical support team continues to work hard to optimize products and update firmware for users. If you have any questions, you can contact us at any time. Firmware update address: www.freesat.cn/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=19117
How to know today if the TV will work tomorrow
The factors to consider to have a TV “proof of tomorrow“, Are therefore the compatibility (mandatory) with HEVC Main 10 and the (optional) 4K resolution. We can already know today if our television is compatible or not, in order to immediately take advantage of some flash offers on decoders if it is not.
To know immediately if our current TV set is compatible with the new digital terrestrial, just go to channels 100 or 200 and check if the message “Test HEVC Main 10“. If this sign is visible and if background audio is heard.
If both conditions are met, the TV is ready, if nothing is seen and only audio is heard (or if nothing is seen or heard) then no.
Italiaonline presents products and services that can be purchased online on Amazon and / or on other e-commerce. In case of purchase through one of the links on the page, Italiaonline could receive a commission from Amazon or from the other e-commerce companies mentioned. The prices and availability of products are not updated in real time and may vary over time: it is therefore always necessary to check availability and price on Amazon and / or on other e-commerce mentioned.