DFB Cup 2022/2023
These are a summary of the matches of the first knockout rounds of the DFB Cup
| Reading time: 4 minutes
2022/23 DFB Cup Round of 16: Union Berlin welcomes VfL Wolfsburg. All information about the meetings.
Ruhrpott’s cracker in the first knockout round of the DFB Cup: VfL Bochum meet Borussia Dortmund. This was the result of the draw on Sunday (23 October 2022) at the German Football Museum in Dortmund. The reigning Leipzig champion will play TSG 1899 Hoffenheim at home. Eintracht Frankfurt welcomes second-tier leaders SV Darmstadt 98, last year’s finalist SC Freiburg will play against second-tier club SV Sandhausen in Baden and FC Bayern Munich will visit the FSV Mainz 05.
Union Berlin welcomes VfL Wolfsburg
of the 1. FC Union Berlin meets VfL Wolfsburg in the second round of the DFB Cup. “Matches in the spotlight of the An der Alten Försterei stadium are always something very special. We accept the cup ticket and want to overcome this obstacle in a 50:50 match against VfL Wolfsburg and move on to the next round of the cup, “commented Oliver Ruhnert, managing director of professional football at 1. FC Union Berlin, the draw.
The Union have their fans behind them, but Wolfsburg are hoping for the Niko Kovac factor. The Wolfsburg manager has had an impressive DFB-Pokal record in recent years, winning the title with Eintracht Frankfurt in 2018. Will Wolfsburg become an obstacle to the Union? The DFB Cup round of 16 matches will be played on January 31st / January 1st. February and 7/8. February 2023.
Are cup matches broadcast on TV?
ARD, ZDF and Sky have secured the broadcasting rights for the 2022/2023 DFB Cup. DAZN and Sport1 can show clips of highlights in their programs. The two public broadcasters ARD and ZDF can broadcast a total of 15 matches live. This means there are two more games to watch on TV for free than before, including the two semi-finals and the cup final in Berlin. As in previous years, pay-TV broadcaster Sky will broadcast all 63 matches live and in full, from the first main round to the final, as well as in the original Sky conference.
On the digital platform of the DAZN streaming service, fans will be able to access cup match highlights from midnight on match day. Sport1 has secured the right to show clear game reports and clips from the day after the match in question.
These are the game dates:
Tuesday 31 January 2023:
- SC Paderborn 07 vs VfB Stuttgart (18:00 / Sky)
- 1. FC Union Berlin v VfL Wolfsburg (20:45 / Sky)
Wednesday 1 February 2023:
- RB Leipzig vs TSG 1899 Hoffenheim (18:00 / Sky)
- FSV Mainz 05 v FC Bayern Munich (20:45 / ARD and Sky)
Tuesday 7 February 2023:
- SV Sandhausen vs SC Freiburg (18:00 / Sky)
- Eintracht Frankfurt vs Darmstadt 98 (20:45 / ARD and Sky)
Wednesday 8 February 2023:
- 1. FC Nuremberg v Fortuna Düsseldorf (18:00 / Sky)
- VfL Bochum v Borussia Dortmund (20:45 / ZDF)
DFB Cup matches in the live ticker
For those who cannot follow the matches live in the stadium or on TV, the Berliner Morgenpost offers comprehensive information on the DFB cup with dates, stats and live tickers for all games. Don’t miss a goal from your favorite team here:
>>> Click here for live tickers of the DFB Cup round of 16
The DFB-Pokal 2022/2023 program at a glance:
- 1st main round: 29 July / 1 August 2022 and 30./31. August 2022
- 2nd main round: 18./19. October 2022
- Round of 16: January 31 / January 2 February and 7/8. February 2023
- Quarter finals: 4./5. April 2023
- Semi-finals: 2./3. May 2023
- The final: 3. June 2023
All the cup matches of the round of 16 at a glance:
- RB Leipzig versus TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
- VfL Bochum versus Borussia Dortmund
- 1. FC Union Berlin versus VfL Wolfsburg
- FSV Mainz 05 versus FC Bayern Munich
Bundesliga versus 2nd Bundesliga
- SV Sandhausen versus SC Freiburg
- SC Paderborn versus VfB Stuttgart
- Eintracht Frankfurt v Darmstadt 98
2nd Bundesliga vs 2nd Bundesliga
- 1. FC Nuremberg versus Fortuna Dusseldorf