- How did the corona case numbers develop on Thursday, April 8th?
Corona numbers for Germany today: Current RKI case numbers on incidence, new infections & Co. on April 8th, 21st
- New infections: The RKI reports on Thursday (April 8th, 2021) 20,407 new infections in Germany. The day before (Wednesday, April 7th, 2021) 9,677 new corona cases had been registered. For comparison: on Thursday a week ago, April 1st, 21, more than 24,000 new infections were reported.
- “Zeit Online” reported that it was 15,107 new infections gives. The figures from Zeit Online are based on direct information from the districts. They are less affected by delayed reporting chains than the statistics of the Robert Koch Institute and can therefore deviate.
- The RKI pointed out on Tuesday that in many places fewer tests were usually carried out and reported around the Easter holidays. In addition, it could be that not all health authorities and responsible state authorities transmit to the RKI every day. As a result, the number of cases reported should initially be lower and only be of limited informative value.
- 7-day incidence: The 7-day incidence, which is decisive for assessing the situation and for decisions relating to the lockdown, quantifies the number of new infections per 100,000 inhabitants within seven days. Today the value is given as 105.7, yesterday it was 110.1.
- The nationwide incidence value is primarily of symbolic importance and has no compelling consequences for dealing with the pandemic. Decisive for the entry into force of the emergency brake – lifting of the relaxation of the corona measures – is the respective incidence in individual regions of Germany.
- The previous high was reached on Tuesday, December 22nd, 2020 at 197.6.
- Infected: According to the RKI, there have been more than 2,930,852 cases tested positive registered. The actual total number, however, is likely to be significantly higher, since many infections are not recognized.
- Tote: According to the RKI were on Thursday morning 306 new deaths reported compared to the previous day. Overall there is so in Germany 77,707 deathsrelated to the coronavirus. “Zeit Online” reported 293 new deaths related to the corona virus.
- Highest number of deaths: The high of 1,244 new deaths in Germany within one day was reached on Thursday, January 14th, 2021.
- Recovered: According to the RKI, around 2,614,500 people in Germany have recovered from a corona infection.
- R value: In its current situation report, the RKI gives a so-called seven-day R. This value relates to a longer period of time and is therefore less subject to daily fluctuations. This is included today 0,76. Yesterday it was 0.81. The value represents the occurrence of the infection 8 to 16 days ago. If the value is below 1 for a longer period of time, the infection rate subsides.
RKI case numbers according to the dashboard: Current corona numbers and incidence for the districts in Germany
Corona numbers in Germany: Bavaria and BW with new infections before NRW
According to the “Zeit” figures, most of the new corona deaths were counted in NRW – according to the report, it was 47. Bavaria ranked 38 and Baden-Württemberg with 35 new deaths related to the corona virus. With twelve cases, the Hanover region recorded the most new deaths among the urban and rural districts. Berlin and Munich City followed with eight new cases each and the districts of central Saxony and Greiz with seven each.
Current corona numbers for Germany, USA and Co. – case numbers from Johns Hopkins University
The corona card of the Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, which records the corona data globally, reports worldwide on April 8, 21 almost 133 million infections with the coronavirus. So far more than have died in the world 2,886,573 people.
These countries were most affected by Corona on Thursday, April 8th, 2021:
- USA: 30.921.975 Infected and
- Brazil: 13.193.205 Infected and 340.776 Tote.
- In the event that: 12.801.785 Infected and 166.177 Tote.
- Germany continues to follow in 10th place worldwide according to the JHU so far 2.940.271 Infected and 77.759 Kill.
Explanation of the corona key figures: What are incidence, new infections, R-value and Co.?
Since the beginning of the corona pandemic, case numbers have been published every day to trace the course. Here is an explanation of what numbers mean what.
7 day incidence
The so-called seven-day incidence is a key benchmark for assessing the infection dynamics in a certain area and deciding on countermeasures. In Germany, it is recorded at community or district level and expresses how many new infections per 100,000 inhabitants were registered in the past seven days.
Behind this, however, there are regionally different trends. An incidence value of 50 was introduced in Germany as an essential threshold for the introduction of stricter containment measures, but this has now been clearly exceeded almost everywhere.
Reproduction number (R value)
The reproduction number – or R-value for short – describes how many people an infected person infects during their illness. If the number is above one, a disease is spreading more and more in the population. The further it moves away from one, the faster and more threatening the trend is. However, this is always only a general, nationwide assessment of the situation.
There are also certain inaccuracies due to reporting delays and other factors. According to estimates by the RKI, the value currently fluctuates around one in Germany. According to the experts there, this is already considered a success and indicates that countermeasures to reduce contact are working. These reduce the chance that an infected person will infect other people and thus reduce the R value. Otherwise it could be three or four.
The R-value alone does not necessarily say anything about the drama of the entire development. It only results from the combination with the number of daily or weekly new infections. The reason is simple: with the same R value, it makes a huge difference whether there are 50,000 infections a day or a few hundred. Theoretically, the dynamic of spread is the same, but in the case of the higher numbers, it puts a greater burden on the capacities of the health systems due to the sheer mass alone.
In Germany, the number of new infections every day is now between 12,000 and 30,000 cases. That is an extreme increase in a relatively short period of time. At the beginning of October, according to the RKI, the number of new cases reported was only between a thousand and 4,000. In other European countries, the development is even more dramatic.
Heavy gradients and intensive care bed occupancy
Ultimately, the number of cases alone does not determine how well a country can cope with the pandemic. Rather, it is of decisive importance whether the health system has sufficient capacity to treat the sick. That is why experts and politicians are observing very closely how the number of severe courses and available treatment places are developing.
The former is primarily influenced by how the virus spreads within the risk groups, where severe courses are much more likely. The number of intensive care patients with life-threatening illnesses is examined particularly closely. Capacities in this area are always limited, if only with regard to the specialist staff.
The number is also an important benchmark when deciding on containment measures for another reason: There are no unreported cases. In contrast to the number of reports on infections, which are also influenced by test strategies, there is no “underreporting” of artificially ventilated intensive care patients in hospitals. However, there is a time delay of two weeks. This is how long it takes after an infection for severe disease to develop. The number of intensive care patients lags behind the infection dynamics.