Australian Open men’s and women’s tournaments canceled

The men’s and women’s Australian Open golf tournaments have been canceled due to travel restrictions linked to the coronavirus pandemic, the Australian federation announced Thursday.

“This decision was not taken lightly, but we believe it is the right one under the current circumstances”, said Golf Australia President James Sutherland.

“The international factor means disastrous changes in quarantines and travel restrictions in terms of organization”, he added, “and with our prestigious players living abroad, the challenge is even greater.”

The Australian Golf Federation had already postponed the November men’s tournament which was to take place in Sydney until the end of January or February. She has now canceled it completely, as has the 2022 women’s tournament scheduled to take place in Adelaide in February.

The men’s Australian Open had already been canceled in 2020, for the first time since 1945. The tournament had been won in previous editions by the American Jack Nicklaus, the Australian Greg Norman or the Northern Irishman Rory McIlroy.

Golf Australia have said they still intend to hold the Vic Open February 10-13, as well as the Australian PGA Championship, which will also take place in Queensland from January 13-16.

Australia’s borders remain closed to most travelers, although Canberra announced earlier this month plans to ease restrictions “in the coming weeks” once the 80% vaccination target is reached.

.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Trending