BEIJING (ANTARA) – In the weeks leading up to the launch of the iPhone 13, Foxconn, which manufactures the latest generation of Apple smartphones, experienced a shortage of about 200,000 workers due to the flood disaster in Zhengzhou City, Chinese media said on Saturday.
Foxconn is a Taiwan-based electronics company that manufactures well-known branded devices, including Apple from the United States.
Foxconn in Zhengzhou produces half of the world’s iPhone products, mainly for the Chinese and Southeast Asian markets.
It will take around 200,000 workers to complete production before the iPhone 13 launches in September, Foxconn Zhengzhou Deputy General Manager Wang Xue was quoted as saying by the Global Times.
Local media reported that Foxconn Zhengzhou currently employs 350,000 people who can produce 500,000 units of mobile phones per day.
In addition to Zhengzhou, Foxconn in Shenzhen and Chengdu also need workers to meet the iPhone 13 production target.
“We need about 5,000 new workers according to weekly production capacity, but at the moment it is difficult to meet that target,” said a Foxconn Shenzhen manager.
To boost the morale of the workers, some Foxconn factories increased the bonus for new candidates from about 9,800 yuan (Rp 21.6 million) to 10,000 yuan (Rp 22.1 million) if they worked for up to 90 days.
In addition to the flood in Zhengzhou, the iPhone production problem was also caused by the Delta variant of the COVID-19 pandemic in several Southeast Asian countries, including Vietnam.
As previously reported by ANTARA, several Foxconn factories in Zhengzhou, Henan Province, were inundated by floods that killed at least 300 people in July.
Chinese tech giant Xiaomi opens factory in Istanbul
Reporter: M. Irfan Ilmie
Publisher: Tia Mutiasari
COPYRIGHT © ANTARA 2021