Adrian Mannarino: “New York State has overtaken the city”

At the US Open, the Covid-19 and New York State play bad tricks on players who have rubbed shoulders with Benoît Paire, who tested positive. Mannarino, he almost did not play his third round.

Adrian Mannarino almost couldn’t defend his chances in the 3rd round of the US Open on Friday. Having worked with Benoît Paire who tested positive for coronavirus and excluded from the tournament, he is subject to a particularly restrictive protocol, like six other players.

Why did your match start nearly three hours late?

I was getting ready to play at 2:30 pm I was ready to go when the tour manager came to tell me that the New York State Department of Health had passed the City. This had authorized me to play with the signing of the new protocol on Sunday. The state stepped in to say that I had been exposed to a positive case and therefore had to be quarantined in my room and could not go to the court to play. The organizers then told me that they were postponing the match to give themselves time to negotiate. I don’t know who did what. So I’m grateful to everyone who went out of their way to get me to play.

Did you think you could be prevented from playing in this way?

When we were told on Sunday that we could play the tournament by signing the new protocol, we all signed it. It was a document from the city’s health services. It took a lot of organization to put all these new restrictions in place around us so that we could play the tournament. I didn’t know that the state could override this decision …

Read Also:  Former Montpellier native Virginia Torrecilla successfully operated on for a brain tumor

Are you allowed to leave New York?

I won’t be able to leave New York until Friday. But it’s different for everyone. It all depends on the last time we were in contact with Benoît.

Would you say you are living a nightmare?

I certainly wouldn’t say it’s a nightmare. I played, maybe a weird tournament. But I got to play… So I’m not going to complain.

Mladenovic excluded from doubles

France’s Kristina Mladenovic and her doubles partner Timea Babos were disqualified from the doubles draw, following a decision by local health authorities, the American Federation (USTA) announced on Saturday. This decision is based on the fact that Mladenovic is one of the players who worked alongside Benoît Paire tested positive for coronavirus and excluded from the tournament, and that she must therefore “remain in quarantine”. Alizé Cornet, against the American Madison Keys, seeded n ° 7, and Corentin Moutet against the Canadian Felix Auger Aliassime, 21st world player, played their place in the 8th final last night.

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Trending