According to “New York Times” – 170 dead after suicide bombing near Kabul airport

According to official information, British citizens were also killed in the attack. Foreign Minister Dominic Raab announced on Friday that two British adults and a child of a British citizen were among those killed. “These were innocent people and it is a tragedy as they tried to get their loved ones to the UK to safety and were killed by cowardly terrorists in the process,” said the conservative politician.

According to the US Department of Defense, one suicide bomber blew himself up in the devastating terrorist attack on the airport in Kabul – not two. US Major General William Taylor said on Friday at the Pentagon that it was not certain how the false information about two suicide bombers could have come about the previous day. “We felt it was important to correct the information here,” said Taylor.

The US Department of Defense spoke on Thursday after the terrorist attack of two suicide bombers of the terrorist militia Islamic State (IS). “I can confirm to you that we do not believe that there was a second explosion in or near the Baron Hotel that it was a suicide bomber,” Taylor told reporters.

According to the US military, more than 5,000 people are still waiting to be evacuated at Kabul airport. The number has decreased somewhat, said Taylor. The US is able to fly people out until the last minute.

British Defense Secretary Ben Wallace warned on Friday that the closer the withdrawal date, the greater the threat. “We are doing everything we can to be prepared,” said the head of the US Central Command, General Frank McKenzie. The USA is still securing the airport after the withdrawal of other soldiers and wants to allow people to leave the country by Tuesday.

The US armed forces can temporarily accommodate up to 50,000 evacuated Afghans at their bases in the United States. Defense Department spokesman John Kirby said on Friday. The armed forces had previously spoken of a capacity for more than 20,000 people. The admission of additional Afghans is now possible because the military is opening three additional bases to accommodate the evacuees, said Kirby.

.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Trending