The first copy of the Soviet passenger car GAZ-21 Volga was produced on October 15, 1956. The elegant and majestic car called the Empress remained in the production program of the Gorky Automobile Plant until the early 1970s.
These cars were supplied to socialist Czechoslovakia mainly as company cars, taxis or company cars of the National Security Corps.
The GAZ-21, which was the successor to the legendary Russian car Pobeda, did not represent a cry of modern technology, but it excelled in a robust construction, thanks to which it was able to withstand Russian roads – roads, and for its time it had a relatively comfortable interior. It was no wonder, then, that the Volga were sold not only in the Soviet Union and other Eastern Bloc countries, but were also sold in the West.
The GAZ-21 was initially produced exclusively as a sedan, only in 1962 did a huge station wagon called Universal appear. Of interest was the limited series of these cars equipped with an automatic transmission and an eight-cylinder engine with a capacity of 5.5 liters, which was designed for the needs of the Soviet security authorities.
In 1968, the Empress’s successor, the angular model GAZ-24, appeared in public. Two years later, the last of the nearly 640,000 “twenty-one” left the factory in Gorky (now Nizhny Novgorod).