The “13th” edition of the Angoulême Francophone Film Festival is renamed the 2020 Edition and will be one of the very first festivals of the post-Covid-19 period! Shifted from August 28 to September 2, 2020, this unmissable back-to-school festival will still be the occasion to discover, in compliance with health guidelines, many nuggets among the ten films in competition and the thirty films presented in preview.
This year, wearing a mask is compulsory in the rooms and booking sessions via the Internet is compulsory.
Online reservations for sessions are available at this address.
The opening night of the Festival will allow the public to discover Clear history, the highly anticipated latest film from the duo Kervern–Delepine, with Blanche Gardin, Bruno Podalydes and Corinne Masiero, when the closing night will offer to see The mum, the last film of Jean-Paul Salome, with Isabelle Huppert and Hippolyte Girardot.
The competition is always a great opportunity to meet the directors and actors who will come to defend the films presented. (5 sessions are scheduled for each film). The superb selection is no exception this year to the rule and highlights several first films, some of which are directed by actors. It will feature 5 dramas, 2 dramatic comedies and 3 comedies, and 4 of them were awarded the Cannes Selection 2020 label.
– Little country (France) from Eric Barbier, based on the eponymous novel by Gael Faye with Jean-Paul Rouve
– A triumph (France) from Emmanuel Courcol, with Kad merad, Marina Hands, and Laurent Stocker
– Slalom (France, Belgium) from Charlene Favier, with Jeremiah Renier and Noée Abita
– The embrace (France) from Ludovic Bergery, with Emmanuelle Béart and Vincent Dedienne
– Rag boy (France) from and with Nicolas maury, Nathalie Baye and Laure calamy,
– The enemy (Belgium, France, Luxembourg) from Stephan Streker with Jeremiah Renier, Emmanuelle Bercot and Alma Jodorowsky
– Éléonore (France) from Amro Hamzawi, with Nora Hamzawi, André Marcon and Dominique reymond
– Ibrahim (France) from and with Samir Guesmi, Luàna Bajrami and Philippe Rebbot
– Mica (Morocco, France) from Ismaël Ferroukhi, with Sabrina Ouazani
– Antoinette in the Cévennes (France) from Caroline Vignal with Laure calamy, Benjamin Lavernhe and Olivia coast
The feature film jury will be chaired by the duo Benoît Delépine – Gustave Kervern, which will host a Master Class on September 1, and co-chaired by Elsa Zylberstein, another regular at the Festival.
The other members of the jury which will award the famous Valois are:
– director Claude Barras (dont My Zucchini Life won the Valois de Diamant in 2016) and the Franco-Tunisian director Manele Labidi, noticed with her The couch in Tunis, released at the beginning of the year.
– Belgian actor Marc Zinga (Our patriots, Welcome to Marly-Gomont) and the Canadian actress Evelyne Brochu (My brother’s wife)
– the singer-songwriter Clara Luciani
– the Managing Director of TV5 Monde Yves Bigot
The president of the jury of francophone students is Nicole Calfan (Guy).
The public will be able to see many films in preview, always in the presence of the directors and actors:
– Police of Anne Fontaine, with Virginie Efira, Omar Sy and Gregory Gadebois,
– Goodbye idiots from and with Albert Dupontel, Virginie efira and Nicolas Married
– The fine flower of Pierre Pinaud, with Catherine frot and Vincent Dedienne
– Fathers profession of Jean-Pierre Ameris with Benoit Poelvoorde and Audrey Dana,
– Sisters, of Yamina Benguigui with Isabelle Adjani, Rachida Brakni, Maywenn and Hafsia Herzi
– Villa Caprice of Bernard Stora with Niels Arelstrup and Patrick bruel,
– Miss of Ruben Alves with Alexandre Wetter, Pascale Arbillot, Stéfi Celma, Thibault de Montalembert and Amanda Lear,
– The speech, based on the eponymous novel by Fabcaro, of Laurent Tirard, with Benjamin Lavernhe, Kyan khojandy, Sara Giraudeau and Julia Piaton,
– Appearances of Marc Fitoussi with Karin Viard, Benjamin Biolay, Laetitia Dosch and Pascale Arbillot
– Parents of students of Noemie Saglio with Vincent Dedienne, Camélia Jordana and Alix Fish
– The attached part of Antonin Peretjatko, with Anaïs Demoustier, Philippe Katerine, Josiane Balasko and William Lebghil
– Men of Lucas Belvaux with Gérard Depardieu, Catherine Frot and Jean-Pierre Darroussin,
– 30 days max from and with Tarek Boudali, Philippe Lacheau, and Jose Garcia
– 5ème Set of Quentin Reynaud with Alex Lutz, Ana Girardot and Kristin Scott Thomas,
– Poly of Nicolas vanier with François Cluzet, Julie Gayet and Patrick Timsit
– The two Alfreds from and with Bruno Podalydès, Denis Podalydès, and Sandrine Kiberlain.
New products and other selections
Carte blanche is exceptionally given in this 2020 Edition to La Critics’ Week, in the absence of the Cannes Film Festival. 4 films have thus been selected by Charles Tesson, General Delegate of the Critics’ Week:
– The Land of Men of Noël Marandin, with Olivier Gourmet, Finnegan Oldfield and Diane Rouxel,
– Gold for dogs of Anne Cazenave Cambet
– Under Alice’s sky of Chloe Mazlo with Alba Rohrwacher
– The cloud of Just Philippot, with Suliane brahim and Sofian khammes
Three films are scheduled in preview in the category The flamboyant: The dreamed child of Raphael Jacoulot, with Louise Bourgoin, Jalil Lespert and Melanie Doutey, The things we say, the things we do of Emmanuel Mouret, with Camélia Jordana and Niels Schneider and Vincent Macaigne and Night doctor of Elie Wajeman, with Vincent Macaigne, Sara Giraudeau and Pio Marmaï.
This year, documentaries are in the spotlight, including Cyril vs. Goliath (released on VOD during confinement), It is you that I was waiting for of Stephanie Pillonca and Pingoin & Gull and their 500 young of Michel leclerc. And the festival delegates also program two of their favorites, including Cute of Maïmouna Doucouré.
The category First Meetings will give the opportunity to see in particular Sixteen Spring, the first film of Suzanne Lindon, Guinea pigs of Emmanuel Poulain-Arnaud with Thomas Ngigol and Judith Chemla or Low mass of Baptiste Drapeau with Alice Isaaz and Jacqueline Bisset.
This year, health measures oblige, no category Cinema and Concert, but a musical masterclass led by Julie Gayet, which invites Benjamin Biolay August 31. No homage either to the cinema of a French-speaking country invited to the festival, but Groland, the country imagined by the two co-presidents of the jury, will receive the honors of the festival with the programming of two films in free screenings.
A few Family jewels of To life will also be screened, including Farewell to the Queen. And, icing on the cake, the first two episodes of season 4 of Ten percent will be screened exclusively, before their release in the fall.
For the 6th consecutive year, Sylvie-Noëlle will be present throughout the duration of the Festival and will publish reviews of the films in competition.