The DHB team is already in the main round at the Handball World Cup. But before the last match in Group A against Serbia is still everything in Germany: from group victory to third place.
After this dramatic draw at the last minute against world champion France outweighed the German handball players frustration. With a victory against Serbia (18.00 clock in live ticker at t-online.de) Uwe Gensheimer and Co. want to throw this from the soul and get ready for the upcoming important tasks.
Not only that: As a bonus, even a conciliatory group victory could jump out in front of the French in case of a success and corresponding protection. These are the possible scenarios.
Germany will be group winner, if ...
- The DHB team wins against Serbia and loses France against Russia or draws.
- the DHB team plays against Serbia and France loses against Russia.
Andreas Wolff clenched his fists: The German handball players can theoretically finish Group A first. (Source: Camera 4 / imago)
The group victory would have no meaning for the rest of the tournament, but certainly for the rest of the game plan. In this case, Germany would first meet the second and then the third group B in the first round.
The final would make the game against first of B. However, as in the German group, it is still unclear which team will land where. The match days in the main round are scheduled for Saturday (19.1.), Monday (21 January) and Wednesday (23 January).
Germany becomes second in the group, if ...
- the DHB team at least draws against Serbia and France brings at least one point against Russia.
- The DHB team loses against Serbia and France at least draws against Russia.
- the DHB team loses against Serbia and Russia does not win a big win against France. Both teams would have the same number of points in this case. Currently Germany have a goal difference of +24, Russia +5.
Second place is the most likely scenario. In this case, in the main round on Germany expected first Iceland or Macedonia (19 January), which make up third place among themselves. Then the matches against Croatia and Spain (21 and 23 January) would follow.
Patrick Groetzki cheers against France: Despite the bitter last-minute draw, the DHB team can still pass the World Champion. (Source: Camera 4 / imago)
Germany becomes a group knight if ...
- the DHB team against Serbia loses high and Russia wins against France. Currently, Germany has a goal difference by 19 goals better than the Russians.
In this case, Germany would first hit Spain or Croatia (19 and 21 January). Then the match would follow against Iceland or Macedonia (23 January).
More important than the place in the table for the rest of the tournament, however, are the points Germany takes from Group A into the main round. Should Brazil qualify alongside Germany and France, the DHB team would start with a good starting point of three points. These three counters come from the results against the competitors (victory against Brazil, draw against France).
However, if Russia prevails as a third team in the German group, due to the draw against the former world champion, however, only two points in the account. The DHB team will hope next to a victory against Serbia so in the evening, especially on the Brazilians and Frenchmen.