Bob Costas leaves his longtime home at NBC Sports


LOS ANGELES (AP) - Bob Costas, who retired two years ago as the NBC host of the Olympics, has completely left the sports department of the network.


NBC Sports said on Wednesday that Costas had parted company with his longtime employer and did not specify any further details.


Sandy Montag, Costa's manager, said it had been handled smoothly.


"Everything in this transition was planned and implemented by mutual agreement," Montag said in a statement sent by e-mail. He said Costas had a "great partnership" with executives including Dick Ebersol and Mark Lazarus, current chairman of NBC Broadcasting & Sports.


The 66-year-old Costas was from 1992 eleven times for the Olympic Games of NBC operates. In early 2017, he joined newcomer Mike Tirico, formerly with ESPN.


When the change was announced in early 2017, Costas said he had himself decided that the time for a change was correct. He then said he wanted to make lengthy programming and commentary on special events and compared his new role to what former NBC news anchor Tom Brokaw is doing for the network.


On Tuesday, Costas told the New York Post that he had decided to leave NBC Sports and stated that his departure was "quiet and happy for everyone involved".


In August 2018, the newspaper reported that he was no longer satisfied with his role on NBC and a contract that limited his involvement in other projects.


Costas, who joined NBC Sports in 1979, has handled baseball, football, basketball, and horse racing, serving as the face and voice of the Olympics.


He plans to continue working in the MLB network and is interested in an interview show focusing on sports and news, the Post said.


"Apart from MLB Network, Bob certainly has a next chapter in his career and we look forward to developing those opportunities," said Montag.


,

Comments