KOMPAS.com – Soothe the liver otherwise known as hepatic steatosis is a condition when fat accumulates in the liver.
Launch Cleveland Clinic, a healthy liver contains less fat.
However, if the presence of fat has reached 5-10 percent of the liver weight, it could be a problem.
Also read: 12 Symptoms of Liver Cancer to Watch Out For
The liver is the second largest organ in the body and is an important organ with various life support functions.
Various functions of the liver, including:
- Produces bile which aids digestion
- Make protein for the body
- Storing iron
- Convert nutrients into energy
- Creating substances that help blood clot (stick together to heal wounds)
- Helps the body fight infections by making immune factors and removing bacteria and toxins (substances that can harm the body) from the blood
In most cases, disease calming the liver it does not cause serious problems to interfere with liver function.
However, for 7-30 percent of people with fatty liver conditions, it is found that the condition gets worse over time.
Fatty liver disease can develop through three stages:
- The liver becomes inflamed (swollen) which damages the tissue. This stage is called steatohepatitis
- Scar tissue forms where the liver is damaged. This process is called fibrosis
- Extensive scar tissue replaces healthy tissue. At this point, the sufferer experiences cirrhosis of the liver
Cirrhosis of the liver is a condition that arises as a result of severe damage to the liver.
Hard scar tissue that replaces healthy liver tissue slows down liver function.
Finally, it can block liver function completely.
Cirrhosis can lead to liver failure and liver cancer.
Launch Health Line, in most cases, fatty liver disease does not cause obvious symptoms.
However, some sufferers may feel often tired, feel uncomfortable or have pain in the upper right side of the stomach.
Symptoms of liver degeneration will be more pronounced when the disease has developed severe liver fibrosis or liver cirrhosis.
Here are a few symptoms of fatty liver which has led to liver cirrhosis:
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Often feels weak
- Tiring easily
- Itchy skin
- Yellow skin and eyes
- Blood vessels that look like cobwebs on the skin
- Stomach ache
- Swollen stomach
- Swelling of the legs
- Breast enlargement in men
- Feeling confused and slurred speaking (hepatic encephalopathy)
Symptoms of fatty liver that have led to cirrhosis of the liver need to be watched out for because they are potentially life threatening.
If you experience some of the symptoms above, it would be better if you see a doctor immediately.
Your doctor can help find the cause of the complaint you are experiencing and treat it immediately.
In the condition of fatty liver, the doctor will find your liver looks enlarged.