The western part of Mongolia has been quarantined, because two men are infected with bubonic plague, presumably after eating marmot meat.
It concerns two brothers aged 27 and 17 years old from the region of the city of Khovd. The oldest is said to be in hospital in critical condition. The whole area is now closed. Cars can no longer report in or out of local media.
The National Zoonoses Research Center in Mongolia (NCZD) examined 146 people who may have had contact with the brothers. Another 504 people are in the crosshairs who have had indirect contact. The results of the studies are not known.
The plague is caused by a bacteria. People get infected through fleas. The bubonic plague causes painful bumps on the skin. In the past, the disease has led to mass death in Europe.
Without treatment, the bacterium penetrates into the bloodstream in half of the cases. This leads to lethal blood poisoning (if left untreated), RIVM writes on its website. The disease has not been eradicated: Between 2000 and 2009, 21,725 reports of plague were reported to the World Health Organization (WHO).
Bron(nen): RTL News